I worked with Ray and Oriane on a centrifuge that the staff had told us would display time and speed values but would not spin. We inspected the machine and after taking it all apart and examining the circuitry and motor, we determined that the problem was simply with the lid latch (centrifuges will not operate if the lid is open for safety reasons). The latch had become completely detached and was laying loose inside the centrifuge (in fact, it fell out of the machine when we took it apart and we didn't even know what it was at first). We found a couple screws that would fit, returned the latch to its rightful position, hooked the centrifuge up to power, and crossed our fingers. It worked! We returned the machine to the lab and they were very thankful for our work.
|Here we are with our functional centrifuge!|
After the snake park, we all went for camel rides provided by the Maasai village nearby. While the camels were walking, it wasn't so different from riding a horse, but the standing up and laying down were pretty rough. You've got to hang on while the camel's back jerks back and forth to get its long legs placed correctly beneath.
On Sunday, Benita and I went shopping in Arusha. I bought a kitenge that I plan on getting made into a skirt and perhaps another garment if there is material left over. Also, Benita and I bought another one to have hospital scrubs made. We are going to be one stylish pair. They're supposed to be finished today, and I'm really excited to see how they look!